What is a Baptism?
Baptism is a worship service in which we receive people (either children or adults) into the family of God and his church. When we are baptised we make a commitment to follow Jesus Christ. We make a conscious decision to follow a life of faith which will include:
- Growing in our ability to live in harmony and love with others just as Christ loves us.
- Forgiving when others hurt us.
- Having a responsibility to resist evil in our own lives.
- Committing ourselves to confess our faults and resolve to make amends with those we have wronged.
- Joining with other Christians regularly in worship.
If we bring children for Baptism, we promise to teach them that they are loved by God and are part of God's family. We do this by introducing them to their local Church family, and by offering a wholesome environment at home which includes prayer (perhaps at meals or bedtime) and Christian service.